8 Ways to Honor our Heroes this Memorial Day
Memorial Day is almost here and I am very excited to have my husband home for the long weekend. This is my second year celebrating this holiday as the wife of a member of the military and it has given the day a whole new meaning. I am so proud to be a part of the family of those whose selfless dedication and beautiful hearts motivate them to become models of honor and courage.
Don’t get me wrong, I will still indulge in the super sales, BBQs and beach activities to commemorate this official start of summer. But I also want to take time to recognize the people that fight to protect the freedom that allows us to enjoy this care-free lifestyle.
Here are some wonderful ways to honor and support the men, women and families of those that serve our country!
- Fly your flag at half staff until noon on Monday.
- Participate in the “National Moment of Remembrance” at 3 p.m. on Monday to reflect on the true meaning of the day.
- Visit memorials and graves of the fallen heroes to pay respect.
- A Million Thanks – Send a letter to the troops, reserves or veterans who may be abroad, home or injured to boost their morale.
- Wounded Soldiers Wish – Donate to help fundraise for those who have been injured in the War on Terror to fulfill a wish that will improve their quality of life.
- Operation Shower – Donate or volunteer to provide beautiful baby showers for military families to ease the stress of having family members on deployment.
- Memorial Day Foundation – Sponsor flower arrangements to be placed at the National War Memorials this weekend in recognition of our nations war heroes.
- Wounded Warrior Project – Write a thank you note, volunteer, participate in Tough Mudder or an 8K run, throw a fundraiser or simply donate to help those that have been injured in battle. You can also download the Charity Miles app on your iPhone or Android and a company will donate to WWP on your behalf for every mile you run, walk or bike.
And if you are lucky enough to have your military member home this weekend, celebrate their service with some fun in the sun. I am planning a beach picnic for two, an outdoor movie night date and a decadent three course homemade meal to honor my hero!
I would like to dedicate a special thank you to all of those that have served our country including my husband, my grandfather, my uncle and my father-in-law.
Happy Memorial Day!