Save Green with Sustainable Party Planning!
It’s official! I’m going to be an Auntie! I am beyond thrilled and excited for a new addition to our family! And this wonderful news along with the beginning of the birthday and baby shower season has given me the itch to start party planning. Thankfully there are many ways to celebrate sustainably that will save both money and the environment (I apologize for all of the exclamation points in advance but I am super excited)!!!
- Skip the paper invites and go digital! There are several great sites that offer chic designer electronic invitations for free such as Paperless Post, Pingg and Purple Trail. Greenvelope is an electronic invitation service that provides an elegant feel by simulating the opening of a traditional paper invitation. They also donate part of the proceeds to Mountains to Sound which is a non-profit organization that conserves forests in the Northwest United States. And if you just can’t pass on paper, Minted has a beautiful option made from 100% recycled paper and manufactured with wind power.
- Reusable glasses! Cut down on waste and clutter by giving everyone their own glass for the occasion which doubles as a take home favor! Mason jars work great and can be decorated with buttons, seashells, stickers or twine to easily identify!
- Make your own decorations! Start collecting kitchen items you would normally recycle or throw away such as glass jars or coffee tins and make them into votives, candy jars and centerpieces! Make banners by cutting colorful magazines, old bed sheets or vintage materials into triangles and staple them onto string! Bring the outside in for unique natural statement centerpieces!
- Throw a Susty Party! This amazing B Corp and Youth Trade company has created a line of responsibly made party supplies here in the U.S.A. that are non-toxic, compostable and made from renewable plant materials. They have everything from plates to straws to confetti containing wildflower seeds. Look in selected Wholefoods stores or order online!
- Rent the rest! For anything else you may need from extra seating to vintage chandeliers, try rental businesses. They have huge inventories to shop from and allow you to get unique items that would normally cost a small fortune for a fraction of the price. Found Rentals and Casa de Perrin are two companies based in California that specialize in vintage and antique decor.
I would LOVE to hear if you have any ideas or things that have worked for you in the past! I will keep you posted on any new findings of my own!
Can’t wait to celebrate!!!